This American Creole and Cajun rice dish of French, African, and Spanish influence consists mainly of meat and vegetables mixed with rice.
- 1 lb chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- 1 lb of sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 3 cups chicken stalk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Place a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the sausage and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the chicken to the pot and cook for 6-8 minutes. Then remove the chicken and sausage from the pot.
- Add the onions, peppers, and celery to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, add the garlic part way through. Add the chicken and sausage, thyme, oregano, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, broth and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine everything.
- Bring it to a boil and turn it down to a simmer and add the rice and cook for 30-40 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.